Sunday, January 7, 2007

Day 21

Yesterday I needed to by some hamburger. I decided to go to the meat counter instead of buying the pre-packaged meat (which I assume didn't exist pre 1950?). Guess what? Human interaction. The nice guy behind the counter saw me, waved, gave me a universal signal that he would be right over to help, we exchanged friendly greetings, talked about the unusual weather. It was nice. Put a smile on both of our faces that may not have been there had I bought the prepackaged stuff.

I also found a Better Homes and Garden cookbook on Ebay that was published in 1949. I am going to get it because those recipes will be "safe"...i.e. contain ingredients that were accessible in 1949.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course, nobody went to McDonalds back then, either. People ate at home...

Heidi L. said...

I'm reading your blog three years late (ha ha), I don't know if you even check comments anymore? Fascinating project! I have to comment here about the meat counter. In the 1960's (when I was a kid), small town, we always went to the meat counter. My mom would pick out what she wanted, chat, etc. I would ask sometimes for a "dog bone" and the butcher would say "Well, we haven't butchered any dogs lately" ha ha. Then he's wrap up some extra bone in white paper, write "N/C" on it with marker, and we'd take this treat home for our dog. My husband also remembers his mom picking out meat at their local butcher counter as well, even picking out the type of meat to have ground up for hamburger.