Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Day 16


Yesterday Alex and I made ice cream is this electric ice cream maker he got me for Christmas. It was amazing ice cream...but, alas, a technology that was probably not created until fairly recently.

I also had a discussion about the project with a close friend. I told her my idea of giving my neighbor's phone number to a few close friends and family, in case of an emergency during the time. She made a very good point...having this easy access to an emergency phone number may prevent face-to-face interaction; i.e. change the course of things (I'm not sure how else to put it). After thinking about it, I agree. Also, Alex said that all my neighbor would do is come across the street to tell me...if I were home, I would have answered the home phone anyway. Good point. This is one of the reasons why I'm glad I'm getting my whole support structure involved in this...there's just to much to think about otherwise.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You used to make ice cream in a wooden barrel with a hand crank. Rock salt kept the ice cold in the barrel. Your ingredients went into an inner bowl and you cranked every few minutes until it was frozen. Took muscle power and patience...

Madhava Gosh said...

Ice cream socials at the church were a rural tradition even into the 1950s where I grew up.

Getting together in a group and making ice cream by hand then eating it together was where many marriages were formed.